Ali Pennington is a licenced Makaton Tutor. Ali offers Makaton training and support services for all businesses and educational establishments. This ranges from taster sessions to two day workshops. Ali is also available to assist in gaining Makaton friendly status.
Ali has an SEND background and has supported children and staff within a variety of settings including mainstream nurseries and schools for over 20 years.
Makaton uses signs, symbols and speech to help people communicate. Signs are used, with speech, in spoken word order. This helps provide extra clues about what someone is saying. Using signs can help people who have no speech or whose speech is unclear. Using symbols can help people who have limited speech and those who cannot, or prefer not to sign.
Makaton is extremely flexible as it can be personalised to an individual’s needs and used at a level suitable for them. It can be used to:
- share thoughts, choices and emotions
- label real objects, pictures, photos and places
- take part in games and songs
- listen to, read and tell stories
- create recipes, menus and shopping lists
- write letters and messages
- help people find their way around public buildings